Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Fourth

The Fourth by sir jeenyus
The Fourth, a photo by sir jeenyus on Flickr.
This is a quite recent photo. I don't know why, my I've been slacking a lot lately, and neglecting to bring my camera with me wherever I go. Granted, I have about 6 rolls of film to develop, but that's a whole other story in its own. Digital has just been a little lackluster to me lately, but this past 4th of July weekend provided an excellent opportunity to just hold down the shutter and fire and whatever my heart contented. Spruceton is the name of the place; a quiet country road in the Catskill Mountains of New York. I've been going there for as long as I can remember. My mom's dad bought the house back in the 50s or something, and it's been in my family since then. It's our tradition to go up there for the 4th, and every year we fulfill that to the best of our abilities. I can go on and on about the place, and I will, in another post. This weekend was great though. Good people and good times. This photo was taken on the night of July 3rd, and rainy and cold day, which actually turned out to be an eventful day. A break in the rain provided the perfect opportunity to muddy up the quads, and after a fireworks craptacular, a small, smoky, wet bonfire was had. This shot was taken on bulb, so I don't know how long the exposure was, although it was around 5 or 6 seconds. I love the shadow (that's either my friend Mike or my sister's boyfriend Jim) of the person, illuminated by the sparklers glow. There's just something so American about this photo, and it really captures the essence of the weekends we spend up there. Happy 4th of July, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment