Monday, June 27, 2011

Evening on the Lake

Evening on the Lake by sir jeenyus
Evening on the Lake, a photo by sir jeenyus on Flickr.
I never liked the words "fine art photography," but if I had to use them, this is one of the first photos that comes to mind. To some, photography is a form of art. True, I do like the creativity that is involved with the process, but most of the time, when i see these "fine art" shots, it's usually some HDR garbage of some random brick wall or car or something; things that I do NOT associate with being artistic. Of course, art is in the eye of the beholder, but some people can really stretch it. I'm all about capturing moments or feelings, and if the shots come out "fine art" like, well, I guess that's just a side product of the environment. I actually went to great lengths to get this photo, and it really paid off. This is from last summer, and the Seattle/Washington trip. We rented a cabin in the woods of Glacier National Park, next to a kitschy camp ground, filled with motor homes and general stores and all that stuff. As touristy as it was, it really was an escape. At sundown, everything got quiet, and nature just sort of took over. Our cabin was located right next to Lake McDonald, and our "front yard" was actual a river that was an outlet. I swam in it with my sister, and because this is a glacial lake, the water was crystal clear and freezing. Afterwards, I'd go for a walk by myself along the shore, skipping rocks and just coping with difficult feelings. I saw these boats pulled up on the dock, and decided I wanted to capture it, just as i saw it. About 30 shots later, I took the one that I knew was perfect. Edited as little as possible, just to remove marks on the sensor and what not, this shot really remains true to what I saw there on this beautiful lake in Glacier National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment