Friday, November 11, 2011

Faces I

Faces I by sir jeenyus
Faces I, a photo by sir jeenyus on Flickr.
Oh, the glorious days of summer. There's nothing better than a Saturday afternoon at the beach, especially when it's hot, and ESPECIALLY when there's waves breaking. This summer gave us a lot of decent surf (not as good as last summers...) as well as some gnarly shore break which begged to be surfed using your body. I can safely say that I never body surfed as much as I did this summer, nor did I ever enjoy it as much. So many days, it was just perfect conditions for it in the swim zone. Waist deep with 3 foot breakers; big to duck under and even bigger to drop in on. I have to say that I had more fun body surfing than I did regular surfing (blasphemous!). I did some research online and came across a nifty little creation: the handplane. Basically, a miniature surfboard for your hand. After that peaked my curiosity, I decided to go ahead and build my own. I didn't know what to expect, but the first wave I caught with one, I was instantly hooked. I only discovered these in late summer (after this picture was taken), but I built as many as I could, as tried to get as many people hooked as possible. So many stoke-filled sessions were had with the new handplanes, and it really made the summer worthwhile, at least surfing wise. If you've never tried it, do it. You will never regret the feeling it gives one.

Recently, I started making them myself to sell. If you're interested on buying a tool that is the best kept secret for ocean enjoyment, then simply copy and paste this link, and boom, you're set. Handmade by me, with care, for you.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/83961482/body-surfing-hand-plane

Shot with a Lomography Fisheye in the Submarine housing, using expired Fuji News Pro 100, cross processed.

No comments:

Post a Comment